Saturday, January 2, 2010

NYE

If there's one thing I learned in 2009 it's that babies are SO unpredictable! Just when you think you have the mummy thing all worked out - they hit you with new challenges!

I had New Years Eve all figured out for days...Wade's Mum - Janeen, Wade, Ari & I were going to have a fabulous Yum Cha dinner. I researched the perfect Yum Cha restaurant (which Google said was the Landmark Restaurant in Sunnybank). I planned to keep Ari awake ALL day so that she would fall asleep in the car on the way (it takes around half an hour to get there & she usually always falls asleep before the end of the street!). So she was a little menace all day, because she was tired, but I persisted with it so that she would sleep through dinner. So, around 6pm, we got all dressed up and jumped in the car & headed off. Well. But the time we reached Sunnybank she was still awake, so we drove around and around the car park waiting for those eyes to close, but no, she was awake, and singing! So I got her out of the car, put her into the pram, and hoped that she would soon fall asleep by the time we ordered our delicious yum cha! The restaurant looked like something out of the heart of Hong Kong. Lovely pristine table cloths, tanks of live seafood, and stunning large chandeliers. We were seated and asked how we go about ordering yum cha, only to be told "no yum cha tonight. only lunch time.".....Oops. Ok...so little did we realise yum cha is actually a lunch time thing. We'll deal with that. I'll have the mixed entree & honey chicken thanks. Oh, and a high chair, because Little Miss is already starting to wriggle and whine...

When I picked her up out of her pram she was soaked! Somewhere between the car and the restaurant she had managed to wet her outfit and her pram. I promptly headed straight to the bathrooms with her and soon realised there were no baby changing facilities. So in true Mummy MacGyver style I grabbed some paper towel and changed her on the lovely marble bench tops...

I then took a breath and headed back to the table. She did NOT want to sit in the high chair. She protested with a HIIIIGGH pitched SQUEEEEEAL. She then proceeded to grab my chopsticks on the way down and throw them across the floor. And squeeeeealed again and I tried to grab them. Already frowning heads were turning our way.

I asked a waiter politely if they could be so kind as to warm up a bottle of milk I had brought for her, and they did, and I thought this my ticket to peace and quiet. No, she drank the milk and as it reached the end, it only made her more cranky and she cried and cried for more, which I didn't have. I was feeling quite inadequate by this stage. Then the entrees arrived and as I tried to quiet her with some prawn toast and spring rolls, which she took one bite of, squished between her hands, and then threw herself backwards putting her foot into the sweet and sour sauce bowl in front of me, spilling it onto the lovely white tablecloth...

So I gave up at trying to get her to eat or sleep. I grabbed a toy, put her on the floor next to me and started to eat my entree. She then crawled under my chair, over to the table next to us (a lovely, quiet chinese family, with extremely well mannered children) and grabbed the mother on the leg! I grabbed her quickly and while uttering my apologies, tried not to make a scene as I carried her back to our table while she was SQUEEEEEALING all the way...

Despite an understanding Mother In Law and a helping Daddy, this carry on repeated itself throughout the entire meal. I couldn't take one mouthful of steamed rice without having to jump out of my chair to chase her down across the restaurant and carry her squealing like a piglet all the way back to the table. I suppose you can look on the bright side and say that I wouldn't have put on any calories...

Of course the minute we put her in the car to head home she was asleep before we left the car park. We then headed home to some drinks and dancing with one of my closest friends and her other half at our place. We donned some crazy party glasses, hawaiian lais, and party hats, and saw the New Year in with some much needed Cosmopolitans and my first Jager Bomb (gross!). By 3am I was the lead singer of our "Guitar Hero" band, and it was a brand new day...and a brand new year! Happy 2010 Everyone!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below! :)