Tuesday, July 26, 2011

R.I.P Margaret Olley

Today Australia lost one of its most prolific artists - Margaret Olley. While I'm not exactly a still-life painter, there's still so much I admire about her work and her work ethic. Also, being Queensland born, I feel like I can relate to some of her stories about growing up and being an artist here. Her work will now live on...

Today I found myself running around Officeworks, and making print and ACEO orders for most of the day. This afternoon however I managed to finish a mini painting I've had in the works. This one is called "Vintage Flower Fairy" and, like all of my 5x5 mini paintings, it is only $30.

I'm going to spend the rest of the night painting and catching up on True Blood, but I'm going to leave you with my favourite Margaret Olley quote. It seems her and I are more alike than I first thought -

"I’ve never liked housework. I get by doing little chores when I feel like them, in between paintings. Who wants to chase dust all their life? You can spend your whole lifetime cleaning the house. I like watching the patina grow. If the house looks dirty, buy another bunch of flowers, is my advice."

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below! :)