Thursday, July 9, 2015

Donut know when I'm going to finish this painting...

I couldn't help but begin this with a donut pun. #sorrynotsorry

I've had donuts on the brain lately. I'm seeing them everywhere. I'm pretty sure they're 2015's answer to the gourmet cupcake.

So it would seem that the only reasonable thing to do would be to create a Donut Princess. I mean, there is a Donut King after all? Maybe she should be called the Donut Queen? No...I think this one is a Princess.

I started by just roughly painting in a bust of a half pink/half blue haired girl, with several donuts falling around her. I wanted her to have a crown, and a donut tiara seemed to fit just right.

Then I did what every great artist would do, and tracked down some still life reference materials to work from. Thanks Krispy Kreme.


I continued to build up some of the layers of colour on the donuts, and start to work out what each one will look like. Sprinkles, icing, coconut, chocolate flakes...so many possibilies!
 


...and that's where she's at at the moment. I've got a few other projects on the go, and some commissioned paintings to finish up this week. So "Donut Princess" will have to wait a while...

In the meantime I would love to hear from you if you have any ideas for a painting! And if you're not on my email list, jump on there and every now and then I will send you special messages. :)

Subscribe to my email list:
* indicates required

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below! :)